Tuesday 3 April 2018

Amani, Hamsey Green

Submitted by Murali Para
Christmas Day lunch 2012

Amani offered a 4-course meal for Christmas Day lunch this year for £30 per person. This was the second year running I'd been to Amani on Christmas Day with family and I was looking for the restaurant to meet my expectations of high-quality modern Indian food and outstanding service every bit as well as they had done the previous year. As it turned out, I needn't have worried.
The appetiser was a south-Indian style vegetable broth with lentil dumpling and coconut chutney. I'd asked for all my food to be spiced up and the broth was the hottest of my courses. The range of spices used was impressive and the lentil dumpling was very tasty.

Next we had a choice of four starters. I opted for the stir-fry of garlic prawns on mini pooris; prawns are my favourite seafood item and poori is one of my favourite rice substitutes so this option was a no-brainer! Once again, the food was excellently cooked and presented.



For our main course, we again had four choices. While the turkey curry may have been the obvious festive option, I decided to try the pan-seared fillet of cod with malai (cream) curry sauce and steamed rice. While the malai curry sauce wasn't overly spicy, it made up for what it lacked in heat with its subtle flavour which was very pleasant. The cod was tender and went well with the sauce and the steamed rice.

Finally, for dessert we all had panna cotta (a change from the Christmas pudding with custard that had been advertised). After three traditional Indian courses, an Italian dessert provided good variety. The panna cotta was suitable creamy and sweet, and contained some fruit too. Its texture was just right.

All in all, it was a very good menu for Christmas Day lunch at Amani this year. I certainly couldn't fault the food or the service at all. I'd recommend Amani both for their regular curry nights - which include banquet nights - and for their Christmas Day lunch which represents excellent value. They're well worth a visit!

322 Limpsfield Road   
Hamsey Green
Sanderstead
CR2 9BX

No comments:

Post a Comment